Tuesday, August 01, 2006

My yesterday

Well I failed to blog yesterday but if I had to sum up yesterday I would have to use the cliche that it was A MONDAY! Storyteller kept melting down and not co-operating.

As if that wasn't enough when I called the surgeon's office they asked me what type of biopsy I was suppose to have. Well needless to say this did not inspire confidence. I told the woman that no one's told me anything very much; nor, has anyone answered any of my questions. I told her before anything happened to me I wanted to meet the surgeon. The woman told me that she would call for my films and have a nurse call me to tell me how it is done. Well that struck me as a big blow off and kinda arrogant to boot.

Now I'm upset. I call my OB only to find out that she is unavailable until the middle of this month. Not good enough. I then call the Radiologist office. I complain that my questions have not been answered. They asked, "Didn't you talk to your doctor office?" DUH! YES, I did and they could not answer my questions. I explain the main question and the woman said, "Well, that information was on the bottom left-hand side." I told her that apparently the individual did not know how to read the report because she told me that that information wasn't on the report.

So, I'm thinking, "NO BODY IS TOUCHING ME UNTIL I AM CONFIDENT THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. AND I GET MY QUESTIONS ANSWERED."

Around 2:00 PM a nurse calls from the surgeon's office. She tells me she's been told that I am scared and anxious. I told her that she would be too if she had called trying to make an appointment only to be asked questions about the procedure you were to have and no one had given you that information. On top of the fact that no one appeared willing or able to give you answers to your questions. I told her that this doesn't instill confidence.

Well she asks me what my questions are. She is able to answer them. My BI-RAD category is a category 4. The calcifications are located in the 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock position near my sternum. When I asked her what kind of calcifications these were-- she explained that they were indeterminate. She said that there were couple of kinds of calcifications and that was why it was called indeterminate. She also explained that there are two types of findings that are possible with these types of calcifications. First is atypical cells. The second are non-invasive cancer cells. She goes on to explain that this means that the cancer is restricted to the milk ducts and has not broken through to surrounding tissue. This answer actually answers one of my other questions about whether they are in the skin or elsewhere. Obviously not in the skin.

Now are you wondering how I'm feeling? I'm feeling just fine. I have no more information to go on so there is no reason to fear anything. Friday is my biopsy. The woman I spoke to told me that I will receive a call on Saturday with the results. I promise to get on here on Saturday to tell everyone what the findings are. It's funny; I am oddly calm about all of this. I have to admit I wasn't so calm last month about the ovary thing. But I feel strangely serene. Like, I know it's out of my control so there is no point in getting all worked up over the situation.

I need to tell you that I am going in for a stereotactic guided core needle biopsy. The link here has a pretty good description of what is going to happen. Basically I lay on a table that has a hole in it. Underneath is a miniature mammography machine. I have to lay still for an hour and I go home with a sore arm. She did tell me that they don't compress quite so much as in a regular mammogram. Don't know if I should be grateful for this or not. I'll let you know on Friday. I don't think I'll go back to work. I think I'm going to play it by ear. If I feel fine I'll go because I am already behind where I want to be at work as far as hours go.

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

Okay, I'm feeling a little calmer now. I think you are have a pro-active approach to the matter. Keep your chin up, girl!