Thursday, August 03, 2006

My baby sister

I always wished for a younger sibling. I remember I used to harass my mother for one. I told my mother that I wanted a friend to play with that was my age.

[See all of my siblings were much older than me. Try on 16 years older, 13 years older, 8 years older and 6 or 7 years older.]

I really expected my Mom to produce one. She always told me that that was in God's hands. Of course I didn't understand that my mother was an old mom. I mean she was my Mom. Now I want one so she/he would babysit for me.

Why do I write now about this subject? Well Adjective Queen finally put up a new post. I thought I was going to have to hunt her down and take her out. Anyway, Adjective Queen just got her sons back after a long vacaction with some of her siblings. Now she's plotting for next summer calling for volunteers to take on these two young men. They're like 12 and 7 years old.

When I started my post today I was actually complaining about the lack of babysitters in general and the fact my siblings frequently cop out with "I'm to old and tired to babysit." Already, right now my two sisters are in pain and really can't take on my monster but there've been other times when they've weaseled out of this torture. Okay, I'm feeling magnanamous here-- to be honest they've also taken the kids. But really, none of them really go out and enjoy themselves. Not like Passionfruit and I use to do. We use to go go go. We would dance ourselves silly. We would go to concerts. We went to big people parties.

Now we're just a couple of sticks in the mud. We rarely get out on dates. I've read where couples should go out once a month to keep the home fires burning, so to speak. We are lucky if we get out 2 or 3 times a year without the kids.

Enough complaining! I'm sorry, but not sorry that I've complained. It feels good just to get it off my chest. Maybe in the future I won't have quite as big chest as I do now. ;-) Maybe then I won't carry around such a big chip.

PS: If you wonder why I don't hire a babysitter here's the explanation on that. First if you have more than the expected 1.5 children babysitters will not call you back. Second there is a facility around here where you can dump your kids for a little while. I've investigated. For a 5 hour night out from say 6 to 11 PM the cost for 3 rug rats is $60. Right now we don't have that kind of money to throw around. So I guess we are just stuck with the kids for the next say 10 years. That's okay they are good kids.

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

Another reason we don't hire babysitters. The cost of one could buy a new pair of shoes for the boys!

Next summer, you may hear the ring of your doorbell and find 2 boys, duct-taped to your mailbox, with a note that says, "Back in two weeks to pick them up!"