Monday, November 20, 2006

Sock induced insanity

There are two chores that are specifically mine. I stuff the dishwasher and I do the laundry. I don’t mind doing the laundry. Sorting is rather cathartic and mind numbing. Throwing the clothes in the washer isn’t anything; transferring it to the dryer is some sort of exercise I’m sure. Folding clothes and stacking them in the appropriate piles is a daunting task but I do it with a smile on my face most days.

No there is one thing that I believe is a soul sucking chore in doing the laundry and that is matching socks! I absolutely abhor matching socks. I can feel the very life of me being sucked away by some unseen entity. It is a lesson in frustration. I always have a pile of mismatched socks left. I no longer expect the kids to have socks in their dresser. No, out in the hall way I have a drawer where I put the matched socks and all the orphans. The kids are expected to find a rolled paired of socks in the morning and put them on their feet.

Eventually the stack of orphans threatens to take over the drawer, and I sit down and sort through them again in hopes of finding a matched pair. Usually I come up with at least 3 or 4 matches but the rest continue their existence as orphans.

Now I’ve done everything that I possibly can to assure that I won’t have orphan socks but the problem continues to haunt me. I only pray that I won’t go insane while sorting socks. I can imagine it happening. I can see myself racing out of the house tossing mismatched socks into the air like confetti. Once they are all gone I pull my hair out by the roots. All the while screaming and shouting incoherent rants about socks. I don’t think it is any surprise that socks are just one letter different from suck. Socks suck. I can’t wait for Spring and Summer. Then the kids are going in sandals.

4 comments:

Adjective Queen said...

I've currently got a malevolent group of orphaned socks sitting in the corner of my bedroom. They are unruly and belligerent. A couple got so out of hand, I tied a knot in them and tossed them to the dog. That'll show 'em!

QueenBee said...

I just toss all the socks in their drawers and when they run out of matches, they just put two orphans together, works for me.

I'm with you on the laundry thing, but I do hate folding and putting them clothes up!

pastgrace said...

Yes, Queenbee, folding and putting away the clothes is not fun. Worse is trying to get the little rugrats to put the clothes away.

I swear I'm not exagerating with the following story. I left the clothes lying on the coach for a two whole weeks. The kids just used the living room like a dressing room.

QueenBee said...

I would have never thought you were exagerating, I wonder how in the world they can sleep in a room with stuff everywhere. I mean, they sleep with all kinds of crap in the beds with them and you literally have to tiptoe in the room because junk is everywhere!