Friday, September 01, 2006

Mom, I'm a hottie. Like sexy.

Seven years ago I worked full-time. I was also in the process of an adoption. The office I worked in often had discussions that were philosophical and silly.

While I was waiting on news of our child, I remember telling people that there are people that the world considers beautiful and wonderful. You know those folks who are outgoing, popular, athletic, etc. Well if you know Passionfruit and I, you would know that we don't fit that image. We are the other type of people. We are the clutzy, awkward, nerdy people. (Although, Passionfruit is very personable.) Of course there are still many different types of people in between those types.

So I remember telling the folks in the office-- "Wouldn't it be funny if Passionfruit and I were assigned a child from those graceful, popular people in the world?" I mean it would be some sort of weird cosmos comedy. Nerdy parents with a "beautiful child".

Well folks I'm here to tell you it happened. Drama Queen is one of the beautiful people. Last week, Drama Queen told me that a boy in her class told her that she is a hottie. Ya know like sexy. I was totally freaked out! I can't believe that first graders were talking like this. Oh well, they hear things and just repeat them. It never occurred to me to go to the teacher about this.

This afternoon I got a phone call from the teacher. She wanted to know when this happened. Apparently another little girl in class heard the remark and told the teacher. The teacher told me that Drama Queen is a very personable child and that is why she is so popular in class. I know that Drama Queen is a poised individual. I know that she has friends. I've been marvelling at how well liked she is. It's a whole different world for her. It is something I have no experience with.

So I figure there is someone out there in the cosmos who is laughing his head off. I just hope this child who so obviously belongs to those beautiful, graceful people will find the humor behind the situation, and will laugh along with the cosmos at this little kink in the cosmic fabric.

So you see somewhere out there in the cosmos is laughing at this kink in the fate of our eldest daughter.

No comments: