Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Physical world vs. Cyber world

I've been reading blogs by others in my profession. After this reading I have to say that the thought of dropping out of society seems more attractive than ever. I am a dinosaur. I'm not sure that there is any place for me in this changing world.

I don't want to be plugged in and tuned in. I don't want to have a network of friends that I only interact with through a computer interface.

This makes me think that those people who embrace this "cyber reality" because I just read today that they believe that the cyber world is more real than the physical world, are really being sucked into the beast. For those that don't live in the Bible belt world. The beast is satan. Folks around here believe that those that aren't saved will be marked by the sign of the beast. Years ago I had to suffer hearing about how the UPS symbols on products is the mark of the beast.

I'm a vilifying the Internet? No not really. I'm vilifying the social networking software. I do not have a My Space page; a Face page or any of the multitudes of social networking. This blog comes the closest to this function in my life. I communicate to those I love dearly but am seperated by land. I also have some friends who are in the area that read it. Actual I can only think of 2 that meet that criteria.

Here's my common thread in my blog. People are getting so tied up with these cyber worlds that they are unable to see; interact; function in the physical world. People no longer use their manners. Parents aren't teaching manners. I'm seeing an irony here that I've noted before. How are all these people going to know that the person they were just extremely rude to wasn't the very same person they were "connecting with" just a few minutes ago.

Somehow the nunnery just sounds better and better. Give me peace and quiet. Give me solitude.

No comments: