Monday, October 15, 2007

Driving home

Last week I went to a conference. It was in Little Rock. I got to drive there. Of course driving is one of those times that I get to think. What I thought about the other day was-- how Passionfruit has held me in his arms in two different occassions. It's funny that they were both linked to my father. The first time was before we were even dating. My father was lying in a hospital bed. He was recovering from surgery. We were expecting cancer as diagnosis.

Anyway my mother sent me off to contra. Passionfruit saw me and asked me where had I been all these many monthes. I told him that my father had major surgery and a bleeding ulcer over the last 3 months. Passionfruit put his arms around me. I remember how his chest seemed to be large. I snuggled in and enjoyed the warmth and support he offered me. We started going out within a couple of monthes after that.

Then we need to fast forward by 10 years. We are in Jamaica. We are celebrating the wedding of his nephew. My father had just died 2 monthes before we went to the wedding.At the time there was a song that talked about how a father died and how he wished his parents could have had one last dance together. My parents had met at a community dance hall in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. While Passionfruit and I were dancing that song came on and I broke into tears once again. Once again Passionfruit's chest seemed so large and strong as he held me.

Passionfruit is not a large man. He is short and slender. Passionfruit is not by any means a buff kinda guy. Where he has some nice muscles are in his legs. But he doesn't work that upper body. But you know he is a strong man. My man has always fought for me. Let me correct that. Passionfruit has always fought for me when I am right. When I am running half cocked and wrong he finds a gentle way to bring me back into the reality of the situation. I thank God for this wonderful man. To have and to hold... I love those words in the marriage ceremony. By his touch my husband can give me so much-- so much strength; so much love; so much compassion; so much empathy; so much comfort. Yes, dear Lord you have truely blessed me. Thank you.

4 comments:

QueenBee said...

Beautiful posting! I enjoyed reading that, you are so right that strength does not always have to mean physical strength. Isn't it great to realize that in spite of all our bickering and complaining, God is still good?!

pastgrace said...

Yes. God is great!

I love this. Even though we are hundreds of miles apart we communicate more than when we were in the same town. I'm really enjoying getting to know better.

It really is funny how our lives parallel one another.

pastgrace said...

Hey World Travler! If you are still reading my blog you are more than welcome to leave a comment. You could do it Anonymously. You don't have to register.

When I post I'm thinking of things that might interest those far from me and how they might like to know what's going on in our lives.

I'll email you.

Adjective Queen said...

I hope your hubby reads this. It's good to be appreciated!

So you were out of town, eh? That's why you haven't answered my emails!