Wednesday, July 26, 2006

To lop or not to lop-- That is the question

Okay, that really isn't the question. It's more like to biopsy or not to biopsy?

I had my spot magnification mammogram yesterday. I got to see the first mammogram. The two calcifications glowed a bright white. They looked kinda like a snake bite. The technician used that to line up the magnification mammogram. The head on view was a piece of cake. Next came the side view. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a pain all the way to my back. My armpit had an agonizing pain deep in the center. The technician asked me if I was okay, and I said sure. Duh! Apparently that answer meant I could with stand a few more pounds of pressure placed on my breast! I must have been as flat as a pancake! Which many of you who know me knows that that must have been quite an accomplishment. I'm no Dolly Parton but I'm not small either.

Then the technician develops them and tells me she is taking them to the radiologist. Last time I didn't wait too long before the technician came back and told me I could go. This time I sat. And sat. And sat. I sat long enough to begin to worry that perhaps there really was something wrong. Shortly after that thought went through my head the technician reappeared. She told me that the radiologist feels that the calcifications are probably benign but highly recommends a biopsy. If I choose not to biospy then I must come in every six months for a year to watch them.

Now, I've gone and done some research on calcifications and mammograms. If you scroll down on the last web site there are actual mammograms for your viewing pleasure. Look for the "Knotted suture calcifications". They are the closest looking to what mine looked like on the first screening. I did not have an opportunity to see the spot magnification films. So I might be missing some details.

As you can tell, I've done my research. I'm ready for when my doctor calls me. I've got several questions for her. Like what BI-RADS category did the radiologist assign to my calcifications. If she answers with a 0 or 1 or even 2 category I am simply not going to go in for a biopsy and really question the necessity of semi-annual mammograms. If it is rated a 3 then I will go dutifully every six months for a mammogram. I reserve the biopsy for a rating of 4. I also want to know what kind of calcification it is and the distribution modifier used to describe them.

I'm feeling rather empowered right now. I am not fearful. Since I don't have a whole lot of information on this I am amazingly calm. My sister I/I told me to call the doc's office no later than Friday if I haven't heard from them. She also told me not to take any gruff from them. Simply explain to the individual I'm talking to that I would like to discuss with the doctor the attitude of the individual. Though this may not be a big deal for her it is my health and well being not hers. I love my sister I/I. She's helped me through so much in my life.

2 comments:

Adjective Queen said...

Keep us updated on this. Sounds like you know what you are doing. And I like your attitude. Those doctors tend to with reality, and patients often give up too much aurorithy. Don't be passive!

Adjective Queen said...

What I meant to say was "Those doctors tend to lose touch with reality" and I spelled authority wrong. I'm tripping over my own fingers!