Friday, July 21, 2006

land lines and over lines

Three days ago our phone line was cut by a neighbor. Yesterday we got use of our phone back but only through terribly primitive method: a cable run from the box across the street, up to our box on the house. This in turn caused other neighbors to complain about the cable crossing the street where anyone could pick it up... most notably a small child. Our neighborhood happens to have lots of children, several of them are small.

I understand their concern, I, afterall, have three small girls. But it's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't situations. I have small children ergo the cable lying on the ground sucks big time. I have three small children ergo I need a land line to call for emergency help should the need arise.

The damnested part of the whole fiasco is: I'm not responsible for the whole situation! I came home from work on Monday and witnessed my neighbor cut my lines. When I confronted him he told me that he thought it was trash stuck in the asphalt. Why was he even concerned about the asphalt? Well his semi-trailer truck gouged a hole in the asphalt. He was trying to fix the hole. Wire got in the way. Whack! It's gone! So is my phone service!

The only relatively good thing that came out of all of this is Passionfruit finally got to tell the neighbors all the things we don't like about their behavior. The small sun left on all week end. "Makes nights miserable." The cans of chemicals found in our yard. "Yeah, we aren't too happy about our children being poisoned." Loud noises at night. "Again, makes nights miserable." You planted a tree in our yard. "Ever hear of encroachment? How about we plant poison ivy in your yard?" Man, Passionfruit had other things, I just can't think of what they are. I really couldn't believe Passionfruit. He really took the neighbor to task.

But I really don't know why this surprises me. Passionfruit has always been my knight in shining armour. I don't like conflict so I keep my mouth shut. Until I loose my temper and can't take anymore, then I explode like a land mine. But Passionfruit, who also doesn't like conflict, will calmly approach those that transgress against us and respectfully address our concerns. He is truly gifted in mediation.

When the house was being built and they laid the wrong carpet down, I was going to accept it and move on... not Passionfruit. He talked to the builder and got the proper carpet put in before we moved. Unfortunately, I haven't learned this skill from him. I'm too emotional. I get all upset. I shake with fury. I end up in TEARS! What a weanie I am!

So if anyone has been trying to get a hold of us and the phone kept on ringing? Now you know. Why didn't I write sooner? Well the stupid line was cut!@!

No comments: