Tuesday, July 25, 2006

More memories

The day I gave birth to Storyteller was a beautiful February day. I had just started my maternity from work. I wanted a few days with Drama Queen before the new baby came.

It was Monday. I had been up most of the night visiting the toilet. My bladder appeared to have weakened overnight, and I was actually worried that I might have a bladder infection. When I got out of bed that morning I just didn't feel right. Passionfruit was home working on his thesis. I remember walking into his cluttered office telling him how sorry I was but I think I was going to need his help today. I know he was frustrated; he wanted to get the accursed thesis done.

Then I wandered back out to the living room. DQ was there tearing up the newspaper. That was a favorite activity. I read to her and played with her. Soon she got hungry. It was time for lunch. I remember thinking that I really didn't feel right. Nothing that I could explain. I just didn't feel right. I got us lunch. I ate a sandwich with Miracle Whip on it. Which I later regreted as I lost my stomache contents a few hours later.

Soon I really didn't feel right. I called the nurses and told them that I really didn't feel right and that I was urinating frequently. They told me to go to the hospital and get checked. So I started gathering up DQ and making calls to my siblings that had a role to play. My brother and his wife were going to take DQ, and my sister was my coach along with Passionfruit.

While we were driving into town I watched the beautiful blue sky. There were those streaky white clouds. As we neared town I decided I must be in labor because I had developed a bad crampy backache. It was like a bad menstrual cycle.

When we got to the parking lot it was so warm I didn't need a jacket. Passionfruit parked the car and I got out and started walking into the hospital. (I know that sounds awful but at the time I thought I could make it. And I did, too.) During that walk into the hospital I got so emotional that I was crying by the time I got to the elevator. I remember walking up to the desk crying. I said, "I think I'm in labor." The nurse looked at me and said, "Honey, didn't you go to the classes?" I said, "Of course."

"Then why are you crying?"

I'm thinking, "How the hell should I know? Do you think it just might be all the stupid hormonal changes that goes on during labor?" But instead, I just said, "I'm scared."

The next thing I know I'm in a room the size of a walk-in closet. They have a stupid TV going. The nurse touches my tummy and says, "How long have you had this contraction?"

"What contraction?" I asked.

Nurse puts my hand on my tummy and says this is a contraction. How long has it lasted. I answered with "I don't know. I didn't feel anything." Her next question, how long has the labor been going on? "I don't know. I didn't realize I was in labor. I didn't realize I was having contractions. I just know I haven't been feeling right all day."

Then she asks, "What does not feeling right mean?" "Duh, I just didn't feel right. Nothing I could put my finger on; that's why I'm here." Nurse told me, "Well your in labor."

So I'm stuck in this tiny room. Waiting for the labor to pick-up the pace. It seems like I'm there along time. Finally the nurse tells me I can go to the labor room. They get me up and walk me over there. Usually I have a pretty good stride but not now. Now I am barely able to put one foot in front of the other. The walk to the room is one of the longest I've taken in my life.

Now I'm laboring in one of their fancy birthing rooms. Time moves slowly it seems. Finally I'm told I can push. I ask for the birthing bar. They have to run around looking for it. Seems no one ever uses it so they can't seem to remember where it is. I was doing all of this without drugs. Around 6 PM, I had had a half a shot of morphine. I didn't think it helped anything so I thought, "Screw it! No more."

At some point my sister says, "Look up!" I did. There in the door way is a bunch of hospital folks. They are all standing around watching. Not only was I doing a natural birth I apparently was quiet about the whole thing. They had never seen someone labor quietly.

Finally, little Storyteller's head comes out and the doctor suctions her. Then Passionfruit moves between my legs and catches Storyteller as she finishes her journey. Next Passionfruit gets to cut the umbilical cord. He messes up his first attempt. I remind him that there is no way he can hurt me or the baby because there are no nerves there. Passionfruit tries again and cuts the cord perfectly. He looks at Storyteller and tells me she is beautiful which she is. She is perfect. Her head is perfect her face is a pretty color of pink. Her nails are perfect-- topped with rounded half moons. Her hair is intriguing-- dark brown with the tips being blond. Her nose is perfect. Storyteller came into the world at 10:37 PM. To this today she continues to be a night owl. Wandering nocturnally through our house but the most amazing thing of all is she is a morning girl, too!

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

What a beautiful story. And how old is Little Miss Storyteller now?