Monday, June 12, 2006

I've got this friend

I've got a friend. She's somebody that is dynamic and charismatic. I first met her at the workplace from hell. We dodge together the irrational bullets that flew at us. When things were coming to a climax there She jumped ship first and apologized for that move. Me, I was just grateful one of us got out of it.

As the days, weeks and months advanced I was left to deal with the situation as best I could. And I have to say I don't think I did the best but you have no idea what it was like in that building. The situation could have driven you crazy. The Cause of the situation dragged me in her office to tell me that my friendship with She would die. The Cause said that work friendships die. Years later I read an article claiming just that about work friendships. But in our case it didn't end the relationship. For in 7 long months I joined She at her new work site. What I failed to mention was that we originally applied for the same position... She got it; I didn't; hence the apology. Seven months later they had another position on said work site come open. I got it that time.

We worked in the new jobs together for several years before I upped and quit to be a mommy fulltime. I remained friends with She. We would get together for lunch. She would give me an opportunity for some adult conversation. I would bore her with my adventures with babies.

Well it's been ten years now since She and I developed a relationship. We continue to visit with one another as much as possible. Our main limitation is geography. She lives way, way on the Northwest side of the city and I live in a suburb way, way to the southeast side of the city. What helps our relationship is I still work very part time at the old job.

That's what I'm doing right now. There are no materials on the shelves needing to be cataloged. I just wanted to report that without She around this place is like a morgue. Silent and dull. She is always good to have some sort of interesting "What if..." scenario. Her favorite is, "Would you kill baby Hitler?"

She, I just want you to know that I think you are the heart and soul of this place. Without you here the spark of life is gone. I don't know how these people can work without you. You know who doesn't know what she would lose if she lost you.

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

Ummhmm -- a little bit choked up here. Right back at you, sistah...