Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Stage mothers

To continue my weekend story: Sunday was the recital for my 3 daughters. I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to this event. Last year, Storyteller's class stole the show. For three, little 3 year olds, they used up that great big stage. Of course Storyteller was one of the main characters in that dance. She direct the other two girls with great appeal. I cherish that memory.

This year Storyteller and DQ are in a class together. Their costumes made them look like a great big confectionary dream, eleven little girls in all. Everyone of them looking sweet and endearing. Again this year Storyteller directed a few of the clueless dancers in the group. Oh, how Storyteller looked like she was enjoying herself! She was even graceful! For those that don't know, Storyteller tends to be a little power house. She just moves with a chugging fashion. DQ was as serious as ever-- wanting to get everything "right". I have to say that DQ was absolutely beautiful. There was such an ethereal quality to her. She was graceful and serene.

Now onto Miss Independence's role in the day. Her teacher had asked for volunteers to move the girls from the stage to the audience where the parents would pick them up. They were desperate. So, I went ahead and volunteered to do this job. Well I was rather surprised by this because so many of these mothers are your typical stage mothers. I mean I took to sitting in my car to wait for class to be over because of all the elbows I would get. I wasn't even trying to view the class but they made it perfectly clear I was in their way.

So I've spent the whole year not watching the class for that reason and because I wanted to be surprised on recital day. Dress rehearsal was Saturday while I was in Denver. So I missed this opportunity to see the dance. Finally, it is Sunday, the day I've been looking forward to all year. The day my baby was going to dance on the big stage! I get my girls back stage. I started putting the puffs on heads that needed puffs. Crowns on heads that needed crowns. I help line up the little Sugar Plum Frairies. Miss Independence is hanging on my hand. Walk them to the stage wings: Miss Independence continues to hang on my hand and my leg.

Suddenly I start getting an eery feeling. This was a bad idea. NOO! Certainly Miss Independence will want to dance. Ohhh! Look MI, the big girls are done! It's your turn. Go on... Ohh!! Don't you want to dance? Dance for mommy? Get out there and dance!!!!!!! If you don't get out there and dance you won't get another chance for a long time!@! THAT'S IT!! I'M LEAVING!!!

And I did do just that I left. I hunted down Storyteller who was exhibiting signs of going the same way as MI. I told Storyteller in no uncertain terms that if she pulled the same stunt that life at home would not be enjoyable tonight. Looking back I suppose I did get a big surprise in the end. I still don't know what MI's dance looked like.

Now, I'm sure there are folks out there that would think I'm a bit harsh... Guess what, I am! I'm a mean mommy. I let my children know that I am not terribly happy with their choices. But I keep telling myself that I am raising the next crop of writers. Think of all the stories my children will be able to entertain you with in the future. Think about it some of the best writers out there had wacko moms. They are the fodder for those creative little minds.

On the other hand, I feel totally bad about what happened. I worry about how my reaction to this will affect their psyche. Am I totally warping these little children? I hate that I lost it. I hate that I didn't get to see my baby's dance. I really, really wanted to see her up on that stage.

So lessons learned: Don't go out of town the few days before your children's recital. Don't volunteer to be a stage mom. Try to realize that perhaps MI was not feeling good. My sister said that MI might have thought the dress rehearsal was IT. When someone told MI that she was going to dance the next day, MI replied, "I already did." So I guess I was a bad mommy for not being involved. I went out of town and abandoned MI to her aunty. Who by the way spoiled her to no end. Doughnuts and Dora in the morning. That never happens at home. Aunty also bought her several items of clothing. Maybe Aunty should take my children. Except that I happen to know that Aunty doesn't really like to be around children. Makes her nervous. I have an older brother who has a similar reaction. They both have children of their own. Wonder if it's something to do with aging? Will I feel the same way in ten to twelve years from now? Right now, I happen to thing babies are sweet and young children are fun. Okay, I've never done well with 3 year olds. I still believe that someone needs to make a boarding school for 3 year olds. I don't know why the phrase is terrible twos because 3 has always, always been the absolute worse in my experience. Remember mommy, MI is 3 years old, another lesson learned.

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

I'm so glad I have boys. You can just taunt a boy, "Whadaya want them to think, you're a girl?" and then they shake it off and perform. I know, it's terrible.