Monday, May 08, 2006

Adventures or misadventures?

Well, I've returned from my conference. This was one of the best conferences I've been to lately. There were so many sessions that sounded good. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough time to get to them all.

Thursday I went to the Red Rocks park. Nature's beauty always takes my breath away but these are really impressive rock formations. I didn't have to buy very many meals because they really fed you at this conference. We had dinner at the Red Rocks park. There were so many interesting conversations! Anything went... politics, conspiracy theories!

Now things really don't get interesting until Saturday. While going up an escalator, I tripped and fell up them. I thought perhaps I might have broken a few toes on my left foot. But why worry, there is nothing they can do for broken digits, right?

When I finished with the last session I left the hotel with my two bags. One was a book bag holding my purse and the other was a small overnight bag. While I walked down the street in Denver, Colorado I was enjoying the weather. I was really enjoying walking briskly along. Much to my misfortune my brisk walk ended up projecting me about two feet as I fell. I had tripped on the side walk. The side walk came up about one and one half to two inches above the other section.

Now I've never been hit by a truck but I gotta say that it certainly felt like I was. In the mean time, I apparently knocked myself out because the poor terrified man sweeping the sidewalk told me that's what happened in broken English. He told me that I was sleeping. Well I have to confess it took me awhile to sit up and several more minutes before I actually got to my feet. In that time there were at least four Anglos who passed by and never once asked if I was okay. In the mean time I had to deal with this poor man who was freaking out over my accident.

So now that I'm home my dear mother told me that perhaps I ought to stay away from conferences. The last time I went to a national conference I was 5 months pregnant. I was in Seattle, Washington. There I managed to fall down a half of a flight of stairs. Luckily I didn't land on my tummy that night. Get this folks that was Friday the 13th. No such reason for this fall.

Well I made it to the bus station to catch the bus in plenty of time. I had plenty of time to check in at the airport. The flight I was on wasn't full so I was able to find a row all to myself to prop up my aching left knee. I'm enjoying my book until I realize that we are not make any progress to pushing away from the portal. Realizing there is some activity at the back of the plane I try to figure out what is going on back there. Is someone sick? Did someone vandalize the plane? WHAT? To cut a long story short the captain finally gets on intercom and tells us our flight has been cancelled. We all need to deboard and rush down ten gates to the next flight. When all is said and done I got home at 11:30 PM not the 9:30 PM.

There is more to my weekend but that will have to wait for another time.

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

Bless your heart! I have to agree with your mother. Either avoid conferences or start wearing rubber padded suits!