Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Do you know who has the keys?

People have been monkeying around with stuff at my work. I came back to work after Spring Break to find my office door locked. I never lock my office. I'm lazy. I don't want to have to get my keys out of my purse.

These morning my supervisor told me about the book taken from Tech Services and put in the book drop. I guess we ought to be happy that they put it in the book drop but it had not been processed.

Several months ago we rekeyed the door in response to the Virginia Tech killings. Tech Services is our "safe" room. At our meeting evaluating the safety of our buildings I had joked that the door would be locked and you would be on your own. So they discussed rekeying the door so circ staff could make it back there.

Now I'm truly wondering at our safety. Someone has the key to the door. That someone has an impish streak. All I'm saying is it is silly to think that we can provide a safe environment. I don't know who this joker is. But I think it demonstrates that our safe room isn't all that safe.

2 comments:

Adjective Queen said...

We had two memory cards stolen out of two new computers at work. So there's talk of locking the doors. But it turned out that the guard had done it! So what's the point of locking the doors if the guard has the key?

Sigh.

pastgrace said...

Yep! Will wonders never cease. Essentially that's who I think is the culprit in this case. Our security guards aren't rent a cops, though but I don't think that makes much difference. As you know I have no great love of security guards. I can think of one good one but she got out of the business. ;-)