Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Projects of major proportions.

Inspired by the story of stump removal it is time to share my story about the major projects going on in our house. Last year you may recall that I got the garage pretty well cleaned up. Those who know PF knows that this is a major feat. Especially since he helped and did not resist my efforts.

Well back in Jan. we sold our first house. You know the one that hadn't been lived in for the last 3 years. Of course it hadn't been on the market to sale either. My understanding is that is the only way a house will sale. I proved my point by forcing PF to put it on the market. Once he did that it only took about 9-10 months to sale. We did much better than I expected, too.

Now this is significant because we now have money to spend. We've been celebrating by making many purchases that we've been unable to afford. I bought brand new kitchen chairs. I bought cloth to re-upholster the teak dining room chairs that were really, really nasty (between time and children the wool didn't last well); also bought cloth to make a rather tasteful valance. PF bought a new Imac. The old computer that was bought back in 1998/1999 will be moved into the living room for the kids. Well we did have a computer for the kids in the living room but it's pretty much useless. It only plays 2 games. None of the games bought over the years can be played on it. Well PF measured the cabinet we had the kids' computer in and it is too small to hold the 1998 computer. So we came up with the brillant plan of buying a new desk.

At first we thought it would be for the living room but somehow the idea evolved and now PF is getting a new desk for his study and the "old" desk (It's only 3 yrs. old) is going into the living room. I loved this idea. I got to go shopping again! So the hunt began. I thought I had talked PF into this gorgeous black roll-top desk. But he did some measuring and the computer wouldn't fit well enough into it to close the top and lock it. Gone is my dream. Oh well, it was meant for PF after all, right? This shopping experience ended up taking about 3 weeks. I mean we found something that we both liked. It's a modular set. The return on the desk is shorter than the old desk's return. But PF had to keep thinking about it. We made 4 trips to the much hated store where it resides.

Finally last Friday we bought the thing. Now the problem is to get PF to clear off the old desk and much of the rest of the study to do the moving. I have managed to get him to allow me to go through several of the boxes that occupied the center of the floor. Now all those things in those boxes fit into 2 boxes. Over the last several days I've tried to start on the boxes to the left of the old "path into" the room was. I've hit resistance. PF won't let me near them. If I even get close to them his hackles raise, and he starts bristling. I back away slow making sure not to make any sudden movements. Why is this an issue for me? The stupid desk will be delivered this Friday! We are in no way ready for this delivery.

Oh! I suppose I should back up to last Friday. When we got to the store PF started his ponderings again. It was like he was trying to talk himself out of it. I lost my patience. So instead of getting mad and making a scene I walked away. The girls and I walked the store. We went all over the 2nd floor several times. Finally I redirected them back as the store was announce that the store is closing in 45 minutes. On my way back to PF I see a barrel chair; I've been looking for a barrel chair ever since my father died. The funeral home had one. It was the chair I sat in as we made arrangements for my father. It comforted me so much. It was like being cradled in someone's arms. So I sat down in the chair, and low and behold! the chair fit me just fine! It was perfect! So I went back to our sales' lady and told her that I had something I wanted to purchase. I got two of those chairs. Later after I thought about what color the chairs are I laughed but that is another story to be told another time. (Read the NeverEnding Story by Michael Ende.) I also got a cute little accent table to set between the two chairs. What to PF several weeks took me little more than 5 minutes to decide. OK. To be honest I've been looking for 4 years. Now that I think about it it's kinda funny that these chairs will be delivered to my house with the green door the week my father died four years ago.

Pray that we can get things pulled together and be ready for the momentous occassion. I have another story that is related to this but it will have to wait since I've already been so long winded here. I've lost most of my voice so I figure that is why I'm a Chatty Cathy in my posting.

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

Oh, girl, will you never learn? I commend you for keeping your head and instead buying the chairs you wanted!