Saturday, April 12, 2008

Wanting to pass on Passover

For the second time in 2 years Passover does not correspond with Easter. Now for many this isn't a big deal, and I suppose I really should be grateful for that fact but I'm not. I'm done celebrating things for awhile.

Perhaps it's the fact that PF is going out of town, and won't be back until the second night of Seder. Last year's Seder was a disaster. Really. My food processor broke; I forgot to put the turkey breast in the oven; I thought I was getting the kugel into the oven (that's how I found out the turkey was missing from the oven).

I'm not Jewish. I only started celebrating Passover with my dear husband back in 1993. We use to go to the Hillel for the dinners. The year we were going through infertility treatments we did a Seder for ourselves. Our dogs were made to suffer through it. At one point our Dancer dog started to make these noises that sounded like she was deep in prayer. We laugh about that still.

Since having kids I've started doing Passover meals at our house. PF is a lovely man but is quite useless in the kitchen. Oh he can cook but he drives me crazy asking me questions about how to do things. It gets to the point where I'm like, "Oh never, mind! I'll do it myself." I just wish he would do it. I don't care how it gets done but man all those questions is nerve wracking. Now my b-i-l is great! I love to cook with him. We work well together in the kitchen. He just does it. No questions asked. Okay maybe, "What do you want me to do?" but that's it.

So here's the problem. I really, really don't want to do Seder this year. PF is not going to be there to help, and with American Airlines cancelling flights I really don't think he'll make it home in time for the meal. I don't want to invite people over for dinner. I don't want to cook a large meal. I don't want to have to get the china out. I don't want to have to clean the china afterwards. I don't want to have to get all the dining room chairs finished in time for this meal. I don't want to have to clean house. I'm just not in the mood.

Would it be so terrible to pass on Passover this year?

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

I'm getting to the point where I want to pass on all holidays. Too much work.