Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Colors

When I was a little girl my mother's furniture were Earth-tones. The winged chairs upholstery was fairly large flowers of yellow, green, brown and gold. The couch was that aweful green of the '70s (Mainly because it was the '70s). The fabric had large loops of threads. The threads were made of some sort of synthetic material. I always enjoyed pressing the loops under my finger nails. But I hated it when I was sick or it was summer time. That material just made you swelter in the already sweltering heat of West Texas.

I hate the colors my mother chose for her livings room. I remember thinking when I was a little girl that my furniture would be pinks and other pastel colors. Well in choosing the chairs for my living room guess what color I chose? Gold! The material for the valance I bought is mostly gold toned. The material I bought for the teak chairs is a reddish brown. What in the world happened to me? Where did all the pink and pastels go to?

Okay, my reading room furniture is a purplish color but even then the arm chair and ottoman is more gold. My living room couch is a striped beast of navy, burgundy, with tiny stripes of gold and green. My "thrown" chair is green with yellow shot through it. Do you see what I mean? I've somehow taken on the golds and greens of my mother! How did that happen!?! Okay. I'm married to a man. That might have one factor towards this but really he doesn't usually care what I pick out. He trusts my judgement when it comes to things like that. Have I become my mother? Really that doesn't bother me. I like my mom; I just didn't like her Earth tone trend. I'm just going to tell myself that the color chair I picked was better than the other choice of pale olive green.

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

What was it with the 70s and those earth tones? My mom had red -- RED! -- carpet. Avocado cabinets. A black vinyl couch. Ugh.