Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The times they are a changing!

We had a nice Christmas. This year it was Miss Independence who got upset with Santa. She had asked for a real horse. Santa failed to supply. With tears glistening in her eyes and her nightgown in hand MI comes to me and says "I don't want this nightgown!" Tossing the offending garment away with flourish MI starts to cry. Of course it was interesting that she tossed my gift that I gave her and not the red wagon that Santa gave her. By the way she enjoys her red wagon. I'm looking forward to the summer and walking to the pool in the neighborhood. No longer will I be doing my impression of a donkey!

Sweet Storyteller continues to be happy with whatever she is given. Drama Queen got exactly what she wanted from Santa (THANK GOD! I can't imagine having to deal with two crying divas at one time) All in all a good Christmas!

MI has been having problems lately. I've come to the decision that she feels ostracized. She sleeps in her own room. Her seat in the mini-van is all alone while the two older girls ride in the back together and sleep in a room together. So last night she wandered into her sisters' bedroom and went to sleep in DQ's bed.

After this I've decided after measuring the beds and the space left in the older girls' bedroom that we can fit 3 twin beds in there. It will just be a room with beds and dressers. MI's room will be the play room. While falling to sleep last night I realized that I could move our sleeper sofa into the play room to accomadate overnight guests! Of course this would mean that I would need to buy a sofa for the living room but hey I'm willing to scarifice! Other plans/thoughts for the "sleeping room" is to remove the closet door so that it won't matter too much if the beds block that space by mere inches. Oh I'm rather excited by the whole concept. I can't wait to implement it!

Before I do any of the "major changes" (ie, removing the closet door, moving the sofa) I will give the arrangement a test drive. Stay tuned for I will keep you posted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your idea seems like it might satisfy the needs of MI, but I can see DQ becoming agitated, especially when MI decides it's time to get up, and her sister(s) decide(s) otherwise.

I believe a bed in the play room could serve as a backup, not just a guest bed. A convertible sofa-bed would be okay but a bit more expensive, I think. Instead of adding a third bed, I suggest replacing one of the twin beds with a bunk bed.

Little Bear

Adjective Queen said...

That is a conundrum, especially since the oldest 2 are so close in age. I remember wanting my own room so badly, I slept in the closet for awhile. It was a tight squeeze, but I called it home.

Anonymous said...

Last night DQ didn't want MI in the middle of the two beds. So we tried moving DQ into the room destined to be the playroom. Lasted all of 3 minutes. She went back into the bedroom with her sisters.

Maybe when DQ's a teenager will split them again but it just seems like DQ and ST are connected and inseperable. I think that connection is felt very strongly by MI. So I'm hoping this plan works.

QueenBee said...

Good luck, I'm finding that whatever we choose, someone is going to have a problem. I thought when we moved that DQ having her own room would solve a few problems, but they are still present!