Monday, December 11, 2006

Miss Sunshine

When I look at Miss Independence I see a doll that I use to play with as a child. It's one of those toys that no one else seems to remember. It was actually a set of dolls. They were called the Sunshine family. They were the hippie family. In fact with each doll and accessory you bought came with a little yellow card that told you how to recycle common things into furniture and other items for the family. I remember one card showed how you could cut an oatmeal container down to create a table and chair. Another had a bunch of ideas for egg cartons.

Mom was a cute little blonde doll. She had the cutiest button nose. The baby was as blonde as the mommy doll. Dad doll was dark haired and wore comfortable clothes. No suits and ties for this man. In fact I doubt he ever saw a tux. Not even on the wedding day. It's rather funny that my very conservative, Republican mother would have bought these dolls for me. Life's ironic, isn't it?

Well I was playing with Miss Independence today and I could see a resemblance to the mom doll. Miss Independence has the cutiest nose. It has freckles on it. Of course her smile ranges from impish to angelic. I call her Morning Glory because she wakes up with a smile and a giggle. MI is certainly going to make an impression on the world.

Wonder if she'll be a hippie?

2 comments:

Adjective Queen said...

I remember those Sunshine dolls! I think they also had a van, didn't they? But I still coveted my neighbor's Barbie Dream House. Just being in the same room with it made me start drooling.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Not getting the Barbie dream house one Christmas was the closest I ever came to being dispondent with Christmas. pastgrace