Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas conspiracy!

There is a Christmas conspiracy! I kid you not. And it is in the store near you. I don't mean the over-commericialization of Christmas. I mean the candy that is available for Christmas is completely limited to chocolate. I've started noticing over the last two years that Christmas candy variety is being taken over by chocolate! Don't get me wrong I love chocolate as any good American woman does. But does every available candy option need to be chocolate?

Some of my favorite Christmas candy is chocolate. Who couldn't resist a chocolate Santa? What about a marshmellow chocolate covered snowman or a Santa? I love chocolate bells, especially if they have peanut butter in the centers. Of course there are plenty of candy canes but after that there really isn't much left these days.

I miss those mallow creme candies shaped like Santas, reindeer, and bells. (They were made from the same stuff as candy corn.) What about all those hard tack candies that are traditional candy at Christmas. I found a small container of those in Walgreens on the shelf just above the floor. So you know how they rate.

Why has chocolate taken over? Did some rabid investors in the cocao bean see falling prices and found away to make a market? Or has the American taste bud become so unadventerous? Why do we as a culture always dumb down to the common denominator?

Ask me what I want for Christmas-- All I want for Christmas is some candy variety!

No comments: