Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Manic Mass of Christ!

I really marvel at my parents. If we were anything like my children at Christmas time my parents deserve a medal! Especially for not killing us in our manic state. Yes! A manic state has creeped into our lives. The girls are all pumped up with visions of gifts, and gifts, and gifts.

I contemplate not celebrating Christmas. I think about telling the kids to forget Christmas morning because Santa called and said you all are too wild. Of course we do the normal threatening... "You better behave because Santa's watching!" Yet this doesn't even seem to phase them. It's like they know they'll get the goods no matter how bad they behave.

I don't know, Christmas is somehow different than when I was a kid. I was always excited about Santa coming. I wondered what I would get. I asked Santa for stuff and usually didn't get it. But you know I was never truly heart-broken, or disappointed. It was just great to run out to the living room and see all the presents under the tree. To wake Mom and Dad up early. To turn the tree on and watch the twinkling lights. To smell ginger bread men and other goodies hanging in the air-- it was all a promise. A promise that it was going to be the best day of the year. And you know I can't think of a single Christmas that wasn't wonderful.

What surprises me is how I have to go wake up the kids in the morning. I have already turned on the tree lights; had a cup of hot chocolate or coffee; and sat enjoying the quiet peaceful morning. I savor that brief moment in the morning, and then I can't stand it any longer and I go wake up those little darlings. I watch their faces as they see what Santa brought them.

Last year I had to explain to a disappointed DQ that a bike is a good thing. Better than the thing she asked Santa for-- a suitcase. Oh the drama of the morning. I really lost my cool. It was during the shower I took that I understood/realized what DQ must of thought when she didn't find what she asked for from Santa. I'm still kicking myself for the decision I made last year. I should have bought her the bag and gave Storyteller the bike. ST uses it more than DQ does any old day. Don't worry Storyteller's getting a bike this year. The best part is it's all put together already!

I've noticed this mania seems to increase with their age. Of course I suppose at some point this will end too. Especially after they realize that there isn't a real Santa Claus. If they turn into materialistic grubby monsters at that point I may just go ahead and skip Christmas presents all together. I'll use the money that I would spend on a charity that does excellent work. I'd much rather build a home half way around the world than buy some spoiled child an X-box or a Wii or what ever will be in fashion then. But that's the future. Right now they are the sweetest little girls. They're excited, sweet little girls that I love dearly.

3 comments:

QueenBee said...

LB and DQ were going on and on about what they want for Christmas. Their list is endless, LP hasn't made any requests and she is the only one who still believes in Santa!

Adjective Queen said...

It gets ridiculous. I tried to get the boys to ask for donations to Heifer International in lieu of gifts, but they are too into getting European soccer jerseys for Christmas. I miss the whole "believing in Santa" stuff. Guess I'll have to wait for grandkids to get back into that. (I hope I'll be waiting for a long, long time!)

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who told her kids that if they ever said they didn't believe in Santa the gifts would end. Makes sense to me. Don't believe don't recieve. Wow! What a great slogan!

pastgrace