Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mother Mary help us!

This week my co-commuter no longer commutes with me. MI now goes to what she called, “real school”. Today it’s hit me hard. I was all alone in my drive to work. I never realized how empty the mini van can feel. I was lonely.

Even though MI didn’t talk much while we drove over to the college, she was a presence there. Every once in a while she would have something to say, and the most amazing part was it was frequently something very profound. MI is an observant child so she frequently pointed out the new things in the landscape. New inflatable promotion creatures along the interstate car lots, fire trucks and police cars, were among the many things she would see and point out to me. Sometimes she had an idea that would blow you away that a small child could come up with these ideas. Like my dad being dead and being with God.

Wondering why MI is no longer driving to the college with me? Well it all started with a phone call. I called up the grandma, who’s raising her grandson, who’s MI’s bestest buddy. I asked her how kindergarten was going for Austin. Grandma said he was doing just fine but. Here’s that big word BUT. The child development lab did not prepare Austin for the rigors of kindergarten. This has been my worry now for several months that MI isn’t getting prepared for school.

Now the lab is wonderful. And I know their philosophy is in line with the National Association for the Education of Young Children. They are accredited by this organization; however, this organization doesn’t believe small children should be in desks learning yet. They don’t believe in worksheets for young children. Here’s the problem: the public schools expect children to be able to write letters and identify letters and numbers before entering kindergarten. So there is the problem. The NAEYC is not keeping up with the expectations of the schools. They are great for the toddlers and young preschoolers but once their in the 4 to 5 age range they need to be sitting at a desk for 1 hour at least; learning their letters and numbers.

MI was longing for that situation. She was ready to sit and learn. That’s what she wanted to do. Her first day of school I could barely contain her. Once we crossed that road she was running like a gazelle to the school. Her second day was evening cuter. MI didn’t want me walking her to class. She wanted to walk to her class by herself.

Where do I have this sweet little girl? Well it’s a Catholic school. She has to wear a uniform. She looks adorable by the way. So far MI seems really into the uniform thing. I drive MI to school first. Her school starts at 8:20 and gets out at 3:15. Then I drive the older girls to school. My mother is picking up MI for me. Things really have worked out well. So pray for us that this is a good move for her. I think it is.

1 comment:

QueenBee said...

What I wouldn't give to have an empty car. I take both of my girls to school and I have a five minute drive from LP's to my job, FIVE MINUTES of peace and quiet.

Maybe the childcare development program at OKCCC needs to revamp. Here at NWCC, it is very structured. Kara's problem is that she gets bored in Kindergarten. I know part of it is that I've helped her along the way, but she picked up a lot from the lab and her siblings. I really don't think it's fair to expect so much from the little ones in K because not all of them have the opportunity to be exposed to a learning environment. I am an advocate of Head Start so that all children can get the foundation needed. Oh well, I guess I need to make an entry about that on my blog.