Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Morphing Mom

Tuesday my children's school celebrated Grandparents Day. Passionfruit calls it a contrived holiday by Hallmark; however, if you follow the link you will see that Grandparents Day got started by the very state Passionfruit lived in for several years-- West Virginia. But this is besides the point, it's what happened at the school.

Everyone must know by now that I simply can't stand gushing mothers who think their child is the most talented, wonderful thing God created. You all know of at least 2 women who fit this description. They tend to squeal a lot. They tend to be groomed to immaculate Barbie images. They probably only went to college to find a rich (or potentially rich) hubby to support their superficial hobbies (themselves!).

Well I hate to report that I morphed into one of these chicks sans the grooming. It all started when we were finally able to get into the cafeteria. ST led me into there to get herself some cookies. To get to the table you had to pass the wall with these really nice portraits displayed. ST pointed out that one of those was hers. I said, "Oh really? Which one?" She ran up to this really nice drawing with a nice color wash. "That's yours?" She pointed out where she signed her name. Another mother with her children were standing near it. She said that it was good, and she asked ST whether it was her mommy. I saw little ST's face. Now she's worried because she doesn't want to hurt my feelings. I pipe up with, "NO. It looks like the Mona Lisa, to me." ST breaks into a huge smile, and replies, "Yes, that's who it is."

Now I'm totally floored because I study all the other pictures. They look like 6 year olds drew them but ST's looks more like 12 or 13 year old drawing. I'm dazed, and amazed. I do want to point out that one of them looks like a Picasso study of the Mona Lisa which is pretty cool but still pretty immature looking.

Here, is where I must tell on myself. At this point I turn around and find the art teacher not too far away. I walk up to her and ask her, "Is it just me? or is my daughter really talented?" BING! I have now morphed into that kind of MOM. I mean what is the teacher going to say, "No, Mrs. T. your daughter sucks big time."? I can't believe I put the teacher in such an awkward position. She was nice and charming and told me "Yes, she is and I push her to do more than the other children." Maybe it's true but I feel like a heel for morphing. So, yes Adj. Queen, I'm that lone parent clapping maniacally for my special pumpkin.

2 comments:

QueenBee said...

Yeah, I think the very people we try not to be, we tend to morph to. For instance, I find myself saying things to my kids that my mom used to say to me and my sister.

Yeah, I also think it's okay to be the morphing mom every once in a while, we just can't make it habit or lifestyle.

Adjective Queen said...

Squeeeaaaaaaallllllllll! I know you are talking about me!

(Kidding.)

Look, when your kid has an obvious talent, enjoy it and make her feel really good about it. From what I hear, adolescence is going to knock the stuffing out of them.