Tuesday, April 03, 2007

When a professional meeting turns into a circus

I attended the OLA conference. I attended both days. I had to. I was elected as secretary to one of the roundtables and that roundtable always has a meeting at the conference.

Our new chair is an interesting fellow. I happen to know that on his first day of work he had an anxiety attack that sent him to the local medical clinic with an assumed heart attack. He impressed me today because he got up in front of 300 some folks and sang a song, and he did a nice job, too.

On the other hand, the business meeting was a different story. The chair brought comfort items (stuffed animals & puppets) for folks should they so desire/need such items. There was a cougar, a bobcat, a hairy spider, a wizard owl, and Mr. & Mrs. Owl in attendance. The Chair created a ritual of passing the cougar, named Cutter, from the out-going chair to the in-coming chair. The chair-elect was not to be forgotten... He got to hold the bobcat, named Sanborn. I can only say that I'm grateful that The Chair wanted this moment preserved in the minutes; thus leaving the secretary silently grateful for the pen and pad of paper in her hands.

As the day progressed more and more people got into the spirit. At the conference ball small groups of performers got up and entertained those of us less ambitious folks. We do have several talented folks in the group but more importantly we have more hams, too. This was a great conference.

2 comments:

Adjective Queen said...

I think you are correct in saying that The Puppeteer has come a long way! I was invited back to the group and told they missed me, and of course, I said I'd be back to support you in your secretarial role. It's going to be an interesting year.

And I enjoyed lunch with a dear friend each day!

QueenBee said...

Man, you mean Cutter is still around? Not to mention, there have been additions to the collection. Personally, I think it's kind of creepy. I remember my terms as secretary, have fun.