Saturday, March 31, 2007

A glimpse of the future

Well to continue the non-saga of the Sexy Neighbor I have a new twist to the running story. It has now become apparent that DQ has a crush on the neighbor's middle son. He is in first grade too but in a different classroom. Her feelings seem to be returned. Over the year I've found little love notes. At Valentines there was a note from Middle Son. It read something like this: Roses are red, violets are blue, your really sweet and I love you. Love Middle Son. I've also found notes that DQ has written to Middle Son.

Now DQ feels more secure and has confided in me that Middle Son and she are often confused for boyfriend and girl friend. DQ tells me that the other kids say that "they are going together". I do not encourage my children to get involved in these early attachments nor do I think that this is cute and should be giggled about by adults. Okay, it's cute but I'm not going to encourage it. I work very hard at raising feminists. I want my daughters to be self sufficient. I promote the idea of education, and that they better be ready to raise their children because I'm not raising grandchildren. I figure the earlier they hear the message the sooner it will seep into their brains.

On the other hand, I have a very active imagination of my own. Here is the scenario that I see happening about 18 to 20 years from now. DQ and MS (Middle Son) will come home to announce their engagement to each other. I will then have to plan a wedding with my neighbors down the street. Over the years I've been to many weddings. One thing I've noticed in this cultural event are the mothers of the bride and groom. One of the mothers is svelt, and sexy while the other is a motherly matron.

So here I am realizing that I don't have a chance to be the svelt mother. Sexy Neighbor will out shine me in the mother of category. She will wear the slinky sequin dress and the sexy strappy sandles. I, on the other hand, will wear a flowing dress that doesn't get caught on my curves and my shoes will be very conservative.

I fear that the engagement party will be held at our neighborhood clubhouse. Sexy Neighbor will wear a striking bikini around the pool, and I won't even attempt to wear any swim wear at the bequest of my distressed daughter. I will have to wear long pants and a large flowing top that will cover my by then extremely large bum.

Of course I don't know if the above scenario will happen. I don't know who my children will marry but this proves I do have an active imagination.

No comments: