Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A hairy situation

Saturday, Passionfruit and I got a rare treat! We got to go out to dinner and a contra dance! I was so excited for week and a half. Really my whole weekend was great. It started with lunch with Adj. Queen. It was fun swapping stories of our families.

Saturday was busy. I was up before my normal time to get my hair-cut. I wanted to look nice for my date with my honey. Then I went home and did the laundry. Later as the time for the date approached I started to prepare for my evening. Earlier in the day I had bought this really hip halter tunic. It has beads and polished stones as the straps instead of cloth. I called DQ into my bedroom to see the new piece of clothing. Next thing I know all 3 of them are in my room giving me a fashion consultation. They had so much fun. And honestly I did to.

Now for the real reason of this entry. As some of you may remember I have a certain feeling about the world we live in, and its expectations it places on women. So after donning the high heeled suede pumps to finish the outfit constructed by my daughters, DQ pipes up with, "Mom, your legs don't look right. They don't look like other moms' legs. Can't you do something?"

So here is my dilemma. Should I go ahead and shave my legs? Legs that haven't seen a razor in 20 years so I don't embarass my daughters? Or do I take a stand and quietly demostrate to my daughters that being different from the crowd takes courage and strength?

Oh, I asked the girls questions. I asked the girls whether they thought it was okay for me to have these hairy legs of mine. I questioned them whether to shave my legs just to fit in with other mothers would be the best choice for me. Of course, Miss Independence really didn't have a clue as to what the issue was. And I really don't think that Storyteller felt much embarassment. But it is DQ that is all into the way one looks.

It's actually quite remarkable. DQ is as shallow as I was when I was a young girl. It's rather funny because having her as a daughter I am reminded of all the shallow, self-absorbed thoughts and behavior I had. It even makes me realize that I still tend to be self-absorbed. Luckily I'm not quite as shallow as I once was. I thank God for that.

6 comments:

pastgrace said...

Come on guys! This is a poll. All I'm asking for is a little advice. You can give it. Doesn't mean I'll use it.

Anonymous said...

As long as those hairy lower limbs are encased in fishnet stockings that are held up by a black garter belt, I'd be happy. (Men are so easy to please. A cheeseburger and Coke at the local Hooters is all it takes.)

But perhaps you're seeking a response that is lighter on the sarcasm, yes? Do what pleases you. Sometimes our kids just have to learn to live with the fact that mom and/or dad are a little out of the mainstream. It's good for them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! That was pretty much where I was leaning. I mean "they" say that your children really learn more from what you do than what you say. Perhaps they really will learn to buck peer pressure by my example.

pastgrace

Adjective Queen said...

I've had to give this some thought. I guess it depends on two things: can you give in to your daughter's wishes without losing sight of some value you hold near and dear? Or, does this particular thing define you in some way?

Ultimately, as a pre-teen my mom embarrassed me no matter what she did. I didn't like the make-up she wore, the way she dressed, or the way she talked to strangers. I'm sure if she'd tried to fix one of those things to please me, then I would have found something else to be annoyed about.

As a shavee myself, I confess to keeping things a little long in winter to keep the legs warm, but in the summer I love smooth legs. Plus, I can show off the scars I have from learning how to shave with a Flicker.

pastgrace said...

Adj. Queen, oh! I too have Flicker scars. I LOL when I read the end. My mom refused to let me shave when I was an adolescent. So I stole one of my sister's Flickers and went at it alone in total ignorance. You can imagine the painful results. Are they still making Flicker's?

Adjective Queen said...

I hope not. Those things are deadly. I could have skinned a deer with one of them!