Wednesday, March 02, 2011

The link between Temperance and Women's rights

There was a time when I looked/viewed at Temperance Movement as silly and stupid; however, today I had an epiphany. I finally understand the movement. These ladies suffered under the hands of men. Most of the men were their husbands or fathers. Gosh! Now that I figured it I'm so ashamed of myself. Why? Because I was looking at them and judging them on my days standards and situation.

Guess what folks?! the Temperance Movement was a necessary action for Women's Rights. Those ladies back then realized that much of the male abuse they received were while those men were drunk. Their men worked hard. They played hard. They got drunk. They got violent and depressed when they got drunk. They hit women and children in drunken rages.

So now I can see why they felt that outlawing alcohol was a good idea. To them they thought alcohol was the root of the problem. An easy solution.

As we know it isn't an easy solution. Alcoholism is a disease. It's a horrible disease. Ok. I'm not going to beat a dead horse here but I'm amazed I never thought of this before.

1 comment:

kayrose said...

Right on, Sister. Alcohol was seen as the root of the evil that befell them. And alcoholism is a disease that is not only an allergy of the body but an obsession of the mind, a double whammy, so to speak. The Temperance Movement, while stupid by today's standards, was a great hope for those ladies. Thank God AA came into being. It has helped so many people. It isn't a cure, but it sure is a great help.