Saturday, August 18, 2007

Work on a Saturday at the college

I'm sitting at the reference desk today. It's our special orientation day for new students. Half the librarians are over in the main building grabbing students to issue them their print cards. Students and parents are wandering all over the campus trying to get their bearings.

What I find so interesting is the wide range of individuals walking past my desk. I only started this blog after watching a young woman walk past who so obviously was working hard to walk like a tough nut. To smile for her would have meant to break her face.

Next, it's really interesting the diverse parents who play a role in this day. There are the mothers who lead their young adult around like a mother duck with her ducklings. Then there are the mothers who attempt to not be involved. They come to the library and sit reading a book waiting for their child to return from the various activities. Then there are the mother daughter teams. You can tell they have a good relationship. The child and parent are interested in the things being offered but the mom is pretty cool about not smothering the child. Of course not to be forgotten is the lone mother coming because she can't get her child to come.

I've just come back from the main building. It's very quiet. Nothing like last year. Maybe the weather is keeping people away. I don't know. While I was over there I took the role of the carnie hawker. You know, "GETTCHAYAR HOTDOG!" Only my call was, "GETTCHAYAR PRINT CARD!" Wonder how many cards they'll give out now that I'm gone. I'll wonder over later to see what's going on.

5 comments:

QueenBee said...

Well, we have dorms, so we got wanderings stopping by to ask for directions last week.

Today is the first day of class and we've had to take turns manning the computers to make sure students scan their id's. I felt like a receptionist as I greeted everyone who walked through the door. It was fun to answer a few reference questions though. I really do miss that sometimes.

Adjective Queen said...

You mean I'm going to have to go with my child to college while he registers? When does it end? ;-)

QueenBee said...

No, you don't have to. I think maybe some parents just want to make sure their child is actually going to college. I know since we serve 11 counties and have dorms, parents bring their children and help them move in. I certainly have no plans to hold DQ's hand.

Anonymous said...

I guess I was just looking back to my days in college. My mom didn't hang out with me. I was on my own. She didn't walk me around to find my classes. Maybe it all depends on your child. I was just amused by all the variations of parents out there. pastgrace

QueenBee said...

Yes, community college-- you get a little bit of everything. That's what makes it so interesting!