Sunday, May 20, 2007

Green door

This week I've been making an effort to go out walking. Every night we've been out walking. As I head back to my house and see my front door and think about the connection between a door and my father. It is painted a green color which isn't quite hunter green and not quite emerald either.

While we were building the house I originally wanted to have the door green but later down the line I wanted the door to be a burgundy red. Well that never got communicated to the painter. I remember the day that I came to see the house and the door was green-- I was disappointed. Passionfruit wanted to make them change it but I told him no. It wasn't that I disliked the color. So I told Passionfruit to leave it.

A few weeks after we moved in the the house my father died. I got the call and hurried to my parents house. We all got to say good-bye to my dad. We waited for the funeral home to come and get my father. Two men came and went back into my father's room with a gurney. I remember we were all standing around the end of the hall as they rolled my father's body pass. They had wrapped his body in a blanket. That blanket was green. It wasn't quite hunter or emerald green. I remember telling my sister-in-law that the blanket was the color of my front door.

So now, I think of my dad when I walk up to my house. It's a nice, comforting thought. And I don't think I will ever have a red door. Green suits me just fine.

2 comments:

Adjective Queen said...

I find walking a rather spiritual experience at times, if I'm alone. I hope your memories of your dad bring back some good times.

pastgrace said...

When you reflect on a relationship that lasts a life time, one can't help but remember the good, the bad, and the ugly. The trick that some people are unable to manage is to dwell on the happy and only acknowledge the bad and the ugly with a slight nod of ones head.