Monday, November 26, 2012

Long time no write. Life is a busy prospect. And with 4 kids; a dog; a husband and a part-time job it's just not so easy to write. In fact I'm here to write about something at work. Yep. No kid stories. No dog stories. I'll do that another time. (Maybe.) As some of you know, I'm a librarian. For the last 3 years I've been on our marketing committee. I've enjoyed working on it. We've done some great stuff. After 3 years I wanted off. I went to the meeting with every expectation of it being my last for awhile. During the meeting the Chair told everyone that she was stepping down. The Director said to everyone that the next chair ought to be the new circulation librarian or ME. I then threw out that I didn't want to be on the committee anymore. The Director actually pouted! The new circulation librarian squirmed in her seat not wanting the position. Then another librarian said he was leaving too. So now I was faced with a dwindling committee and a pouting boss. Can you guess what happened next? Yep. I'm now the chair of the marketing committee. So in the coming year I will chair a committee. I've never done this kind of work. So it will be a new experience for me. The circulation librarian is Chair-Elect. But I don't think she's going to hang around long. (Rumor has it she has a bit of wanderlust.) Now I'm telling myself that this will help with getting future jobs. Although, I'm hoping that my job will be my job for a long time. (I know they say you shouldn't be anywhere longer than 3 years but I like my work and it gives me enough challenges.) Yes, lately, I've been thinking about what I want to be when I grow up. I think I want to stay in the academic world. I like it. I didn't think I would but I do. Go figure. Although I do consider going back to the public library world in a relatively non librarian position. There is actually a marketing position opened in the big city library system right now. Last night PF talked about retiring and me getting a full-time position. I just looked at him and said, "I don't know if I can do that. I like working part-time." Most of my work life is part-time work. I only had about 5 years of full-time experience to my name. I really see my full-time job as being my children and husband. Life is about change. Change is difficult. I can change. I know I can.

No comments: