Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Point of Convergence

I have a spot in my house where people just naturally end up gathering. A couple of years back I celebrated my birthday with friends. My close friends. Anyway, I'm in the kitchen cooking the meal. Where do the folks all gather to talk? It's in front of the refrigerator. There is only about 49 inches between the frig and the counter. Yet people always stand there when I'm having a party and even when I'm not.

Here's a thought for everyone--Could it be that the frig is a magnet? A people magnet? I mean I know magnets go on the frig but could the frig be emminating a tractor beam? Are people drawn to this appliance out of sheer helplessness?

Why does this even bother me? Well it is very difficult to get in the frig when there are people standing in front of it. When you are cooking a meal you frequently need to be in the frig. Hence this is a pet peeve of mine.

There's more to the story, too. I mentioned magnets earlier. I have 2 children that sit in front of the frig to play with magnets. They tell elaborate stories to themselves or each other. Again this inhibits getting into the frig. I'm forever shooing them away from the frig.

I'm going home early today. I'm going to drag out the magnetic boards I made a place them around my kitchen. Probably against the bar. Maybe that will help with the kids sitting in front of the frig. Don't know but it's better than never trying.

2 comments:

kayrose said...

Once upon a time there was this really cool fridge at my sister's house...it acts like this giant magnet. It has this irresistable pull that makes people congregate in front of it. Now my Sister mayn't like it too much, but we can't help it. It draws us like lemmings are drawn to their famous cliffs. Like salmon drawn to their spawning nests. So what if we are in the way? We can move, but only a short distance and for a brief moment for we are swiftly drawn back again. Sorry Sister, we just can't help it :)

pastgrace said...

LOL. Wondered what you might have to say about this.
pastgrace