Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Summer dud

There is something wrong in my house. The evenings are something I've come to dread. I have to make dinner. I have to wait on 3/5 of my family to return home before I can serve the dinner. Dinner is getting later and later. The kids fight going to bed. Before they are in bed I'm ready for bed.

But lately I've been doing house work after the little monsters go to their bedroom. Notice I didn't say go to sleep. No in fact noise continues to emanate from their room. Parents are required to go in and threaten drastic measures before the noise turns into whispers. Further warnings and yes, groundings are issued.

This hasn't been a good summer for the kids. They wanted to do so much. We just aren't able to financially afford to do the things they want to do. The girls want me to pick them up from their camp early so we can go swimming or go to a park but we simply can't afford for me to drive down there and get them. MI is having a great time with me. She gets me all to herself. ST is really showing signs of stress and anxiety. DQ actually is having a great time at camp. She just doesn't want the day to end.

I've already told Passionfruit that we will not do that summer camp in the neighboring suburb. I'm going to find an alternative. Passionfruit replied that next year ST will be able to go on all the field trips. I just want to be able to pick up the girls. I don't want to wait on Passionfruit to decide to go home.

I wish I had something funny or profound to say. Instead I'm complaining. Well, I tell you that one good thing happened this summer. DQ initiated a disscussion about her adoption and birth family. This has me feeling so good because I think that she is okay. She is going to be okay. Being adopted for her is not a tragic, horrible thing. In fact when DQ gets to be older and more mature I think she will say that being adopted is an adjective. It's a word that describes her not defines her.

3 comments:

QueenBee said...

Yep, I agree with you. This summer I decided to stay close to home and so we've been staying up late and sleeping in. I'm planning on getting out of this rut this week because I go back to work in one week. My nights are filled with the same threats, and by morning, I'm too exhausted to get up before 9:30!

Adjective Queen said...

Well, you know I hate bedtime. It doesn't get any better, I'm afraid. Now they want to hang around with us and watch the same movies. No downtime at all.

mommylisa said...

I agree too. I'm exhausted and things are tough this year financially. Evenings are so tough and I would like someday to have some evening time with my husband too.